How to capture your child’s personality in pictures | The Personality Study | East Valley Child Photographer
The Personality Study | East Valley Child Photographer
A mentor of mine recently taught this adorable method to capture a child’s personality in pictures. At first I was skeptical, who wants that many pictures of one child as part of their session? But after I tried it with my own little girl I am in LOVE and will definitely be incorporating it into my client sessions as well as making it a yearly tradition to document Emi as she grows.
The idea is to capture six to nine different emotions/poses of your child and can be completed in a relatively short amount of time. 10 minutes or less once you get going. The hardest part for me was coming up with the different prompts to capture a variety of expressions. Here’s what I ended up using though it’s definitely not a comprehensive list and should be adapted according to your child’s age.
How to capture your child’s personality in pictures
- Smile – simple but she’s in that cheesy grin stage and didn’t disappoint.
- Just look at me – Emi has intense blue eyes and I knew I wanted at least one picture to really capture that. A simple no smiling picture caught in the in-between moments was exactly what I was hoping for.
- Jump! – I knew this one would be good because she had just learned how to get both feet off the ground at once. I love her little tongue sticking out!
- Stick your tongue out – We’ve been doing this with Emi in pictures since she was 3 months old and its still just as adorable.
- Put your hands on your face like this and laugh! – I have to be honest, I wasn’t sure Emi would know how to giggle on command but I think it’s a hidden talent of hers, and adorable.
- Scream! – She thought this one was funny and laughed afterwards, make sure you’re ready to capture both moments.
- Reach your hands way up in the sky as high as you can!
- Play Peek-a-boo – before picture with her hands covering her eyes.
- Play Peek-a-boo – after picture when she uncovered her eyes and giggled.